Store manager dies during robbery

Atlanta GA. Oct. 22, 2007

The 21-year-old manager of a Marietta video game store died Sunday night after being duct-taped across his face during a robbery, police said.
Police are looking for a suspect who may be driving the victim's car, a red, two-door 2004 Honda Civic LX with Georgia license plate 2010 ASW.

Marietta police spokesman Mark Bishop said the robbery occurred between 6:15 and 7:50 p.m. at the Game Stop, in a Wal-Mart shopping center in the 200 block of Cobb Parkway.
Officers responding to the store just before 8 p.m. found three victims with their hands duct-taped, Bishop said.
An ambulance was called for Matthew Cherry, the store's manager, who also had duct tape across his face and was unconscious and not breathing. Cherry, of Marietta, was later pronounced dead at Wellstar Kennestone Hospital. Bishop said he had not been shot and had no visible signs of injury.
An autopsy is planned to determine how Cherry died.
Bishop said investigators believe the suspect entered the store at closing time, around 6 p.m., and waited until other customers had left before subduing Cherry and a second employee, a male teen whose name has not been released, with a semi-automatic pistol and duct tape.
The father of the other employee was waiting outside for him to get off work, but was lured into the store and also duct-taped by the suspect, Bishop said. He said the suspect left the store after being inside for about an hour.
Police believe the suspect took Cherry's '04 Civic.
The suspect also stole "the kind of stuff you would expect to find in a video game store -- a bunch of video games and DVDs," Bishop said. "I think some cash was taken, but won't know how much until we get an inventory."
Detectives are checking in-store security video to see if it can be of use in the investigation. "We're looking at getting a sketch artist involved, as well," Bishop said.
He described the suspect as a black male, about 20 to 30 years old. The suspect is about 5 feet, 11 inches tall, with a thin build and unshaven, Bishop said. He was last seen wearing a light blue ball cap, blue jeans, a blue jacket and a navy blue shirt with a white t-shirt underneath.
Nearly 12 hours after the robbery, Marietta police were still investigating inside the store, which sits next to a delicatessen at the end of a small strip of retail shops between the Wal-Mart Super Center and Sam's Warehouse Club on Cobb Parkway.

email comments, questions or news to

Subscribe to receive free email updates:

0 Response to "Store manager dies during robbery"

Post a Comment